Korea - Krieg
Die Massaker der USA und des
US-Vasallen Syngman Rhee
This file photograph by the U.S. Army taken in July 1950 and provided by
the U.S. National Archives in College Park, Md., on Monday, May 5, 2008,
is one of a series of declassified images depicting the summary
execution of South Korean political prisoners by the South Korean
military and police at Daejeon, South Korea, over several days in July
1950. The investigative Truth and Reconciliation Commission estimated
earlier this year that at least 100,000 leftists and supposed
sympathizers were hastily shot throughout South Korea and dumped into
makeshift trenches, abandoned mines or the sea in 1950 after communist
North Korea invaded the south. (Photo/National Archives, U.S. Army,
outnumber communist atrocities 6 to 1:
Children 'executed' in 1950 South Korean killings.
By CHARLES J. HANLEY and JAE-SOON CHANG (AP, WP, 12/7/08,
Salon.com). Government investigators
digging into the grim hidden history of mass political executions in
South Korea have confirmed that dozens of children were among many
thousands shot by their own government early in the Korean War. The
Truth and Reconciliation Commission has thus far
verified more than two dozen mass killings of leftists and supposed
sympathizers, among at least 100,000 people estimated to have been
hastily shot and dumped into makeshift trenches, abandoned mines or the
sea after communist North Korea invaded the south in June 1950.
Similarly, the North Korean occupiers and their
southern comrades at times killed policemen and others associated with
the rightist regime after summary "trials." But the commission says
petitions relating to executions of leftists outnumber by 6-to-1 those
dealing with right-wingers' deaths.
CHARLES J. HANLEY and JAE-SOON CHANG,
Associated Press (3 Aug 2008): Seoul probes civilian `massacres'
by US. South Korean investigators, matching once-secret
documents to eyewitness accounts, are concluding that the
U.S. military indiscriminately killed large groups of
refugees and other civilians early in the
BBC (21. April 2000):
Evidence of Korean war killings
Unearthing proof of Korea killings. Just a
handful of 160 suspected mass-grave sites have been uncovered so
far. In total, they are estimated to contain the remains of more
than 100,000 civilian prisoners and suspected leftists.
And there is strong evidence to suggest that the 1950 summer of
slaughter took place in the full view of South Korea's American
The South Korean "Truth and Reconciliation Commission"
for further information.
Mass Killings Of Leftists In South Korea In 1950 Kept Hidden From
CHARLES J. HANLEY May 18, 2008
Zehntausende Koreaner wurden von der
Pro-US-Junta ohne Prozess ermordet. Im "freien" Westen wurde die
Nachricht jahrzehntelang unterdrückt und bewußt verschwiegen.
Charles J. Hanley and Jae-Soon Chang,
AP DAEJEON, South Korea:
(Hundred-)Thousands killed by US's Korean ally.
Grave by mass grave, South Korea is unearthing the skeletons and
buried truths of a cold-blooded slaughter from early in the Korean
War, when this nation's U.S.-backed regime killed untold thousands
of leftists and hapless peasants in a summer of terror in 1950. The
southern army and police emptied South Korean prisons, lined up
detainees and shot them in the head, dumping the bodies into hastily
dug trenches. The mass executions —
intended to keep possible southern leftists from reinforcing the
northerners — were carried out over mere weeks and were largely
hidden from history for a half-century. They were "the most tragic
and brutal chapter of the Korean War," said historian Kim
Dong-choon, a member of a 2-year-old government commission
investigating the killings. The
commission estimates at least 100,000 people were executed, in a
South Korean population of 20 million. That estimate is based on
projections from local surveys and is "very conservative," said Kim.
The true toll may be twice that or more, he told The Associated
Press. n addition, thousands of South Koreans who allegedly
collaborated with the communist occupation were slain by southern
forces later in 1950. In the late 1940s, President Syngman
Rhee's U.S.-installed rightist regime crushed leftist
political activity in South Korea, including a guerrilla uprising
inspired by the communists ruling the north. By 1950, southern jails
were packed with up to 30,000 political prisoners. The southern government, meanwhile, also
created the National Guidance League, a "re-education" organization
for recanting leftists and others suspected of communist leanings.
Historians say officials met membership quotas by pressuring
peasants into signing up with promises of rice rations or other
benefits. By 1950, more than 300,000 people were on the league's
rolls, organizers said. evidence suggests most of the National
Guidance League's 300,000 members were killed. "Orders for execution
undoubtedly came from the top," that is, President Rhee, who died in
1965. The life of the commission — with
a staff of 240 and annual budget of $19 million — is guaranteed by
law until at least 2010, when it will issue a final, comprehensive
report. When British communist
journalist Alan Winnington entered Daejeon that
summer with North Korean troops and visited the site, writing of ''waxy
dead hands and feet (that) stick through the soil,'' his reports in
the Daily Worker were denounced as ''fabrication'' by the U.S.
Embassy in London. (NYT,
May 19, 2008).
Is Time Running Out to Dig Up S Korea's Mass Graves?
On a cold February night in 1951, South Korean
troops moved swiftly to take a communist guerrilla stronghold on Bulgap
Mountain, at a county called Hampyeong in the Korean peninsula's
southwest corner. By the time they scaled the ridge, the rebels had fled.
That's when the bloodshed began. Suspecting the villagers in the area
had helped the enemy, the soldiers made them kneel in a trench, then
shoved sharpened bamboo sticks down their throats and shot them.
"As we can see, the military reports were manipulated," says Park Sun Ju,
chief of the excavating team. The group has also investigated American
carpet bombings used to rout communist forces during the war, a practice
it claims killed thousands of civilians. (Time, Nov. 27, 2009)
South Korea Confirms Nearly 5,000 Civilians Killed in Wartime Massacres.
Commission Recommends Official Apology for
As South Korea’s Truth and Reconciliation
Commission continues its probe into the “Bodo Massacres,” the heretofore
little examined slaughter of civilians by fleeing South Korean forces
during the start of the Korean War, the commission announced that it has
been able to confirm 4,934 Bodo members put to
death in mid 1950. The commission
recommends an official apology. The Bodo League was a South Korean
government re-education program aimed at integrating suspected Communist
sympathizers into South Korean society. When the war broke out, South
Korean officials massacred a large number of the group’s members and
their families, ostensibly to prevent them aiding the communist North
Koreans. The nearly 5,000 confirmed people is only the tip of the
iceberg, according to the commission, which
says they amount to only about 10% of the overall
deaths in the massacres. (antiwar.com,
Untold thousands were executed in the 1950 Bodo Massacres